How do I send documents to the BCAK after my application has been submitted?
All requested documents (with the exception of official transcripts) can be sent to the office email (email@example.com).
Documents must be submitted as reasonable quality color scans in the proper orientation
(meaning they do not require any modification in order to view).
Please follow these naming conventions when submitting documents :
(.jpeg .pdf and .png are acceptable formats)
Institution abbreviation_Course code_Date.format
What order should my application support documents be submitted in?
The order does not matter, but the application fee must be paid before the application is submitted and an application must be submitted for the office to upload your support documents. Submitting documents before submitting an application may result in delays in application processing. The following steps constitute a standard sequence for submitting and application and accompanying support documents:
- Determine what the requirements are for membership and whether you meet those requirements to the best of your ability. If you are unsure, please email the office a concise email with your specific questions.
- Upload whatever documents you have on hand that can be accepted directly from the applicant (typically course descriptions, proof of graduation and letter(s) of support).
- Submit your application by paying the application fee (Current Academic members, please refer to information in the FAQ regarding membership category changes).
- Ensure that you have received the "your application has been submitted email". Check your spam inbox and if you have not received this email within 24 hours of submitting your application, please email the office.
- Follow the instructions on the how to obtain a criminal record review page of the website. These documents will be uploaded to your application when they are received and you will be notified via auto-email.
- Follow the instructions on your institutions website to request that official transcripts be sent directly to the office. These documents will be uploaded to your application when they are received and you will be notified via auto-email.
- Please familiarize yourself with the guiding documents while you are waiting for your application to be approved.
How long does it take to become a practicing member?
The time required to obtain membership varies depending upon which phase of your education and the application you are in.
- A Bachelors of Science in kinesiology or equivalent is required for membership - 4+ years
- Submitting your application should only take a few minutes, however all applicants should spend an hour or so reading through the membership requirements and support documents. Not all of the documents listed are required for every membership type and pathway.
- Scanned Degree certificate (diploma) & Course descriptions should be included in your submitted application - 1 to 2 hours
- Requesting official transcripts from the institution
- By mail - 7 to 10 business days
- By email or Fax - <1 business day.
- Requesting a criminal record check through the criminal records review program.
- Online - 5 to 15 business days after payment
- Manually - ~30 business days after payment
- ICES or WES comprehensive evaluations - 7 Weeks AFTER all required documents have been submitted
- English Language Exams - 1-2 months DEPENDING on preparation time
- BCAK Composite exam - ~2 weeks or more DEPENDING on preparation time
- AFTER all supporting documents have been received by the office review will commence. The time required for this review varies depending on your pathway.
- Pathway 1 - ~30 Business days
- Pathway 2a - ~30 to 60 Business days
- Pathway 2b - ~30 to 60 Business days
- Pathway 2c - ~60 to 90 Business days
Am I able to scan and submit copies of my official transcripts for the application?
No (in most cases).
Some pathways do not require official transcripts as they are sent to the ICES and verified separately. Furthermore, some applicants from outside of BC are able to order faxed or electronic copies of their official transcripts that are verifiable and tamper-proof.
For most applicants in Pathways 1 and 2a, you will be required to request sealed official transcripts from your post-secondary institution and ask that they be mailed to the BCAK.
I have finished my undergraduate coursework but have not yet graduated. Am I able to apply for membership?
Yes. You will require a signed proof of application or acceptance for graduation letter from your educational institution. This must be uploaded by you to your online application.
If your application has been submitted, you may send this to the office email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line "Proof of Graduation Letter".
How does the BCAK take into account pass/fail grades that were received during the COVID-19 crisis?
For core (Anatomy, Physiology, Biomechanics and Motor Control) courses:
- The BCAK only accepts letter grades or percent grades if that is an option.
- If it is not an option for whatever reason, the applicant must:
- Provide a copy of the policy from their college/university and proof that this policy was in place at the institutional, departmental or course level at the time they were enrolled in the course(s) in question. If possible, the applicant should contact their professor or advisor to determine what percent or letter grade would have been obtained based on marks in previous assignments and exams. This will be verified by the BCAK office.
For Elective Courses:
- The BCAK membership committee can count two (2) pass/fail grades towards the elective course requirements without special consideration. This is similar to the D grade policy for elective courses.
- For those who had a full course load and may, through no fault of their own, have 3-5 pass/fail grades for the affected semesters; the committee has the option of accepting more pass/fail grades if it is the difference between the applicant obtaining membership or not. Some of the parameters that are considered when deciding whether additional pass/fail grades will be accepted towards fulfilling the elective requirement are:
- Applicant GPA
- Applicant Academic history
- Previous coursework completed by the applicant
- The graduation requirements for the undergraduate program in question.
- Additional certifications held by the applicant
- Whether the applicant's core course requirements have been satisfied.
I would like to change membership category/type, how do I do this?
The membership changes listed below are available to you.
You must contact the BCAK office regarding any request to change membership type (category). In all cases where membership type is switched for insurance and membership limitation reasons.
ATTENTION CURRENT ACADEMIC MEMBERS: Academic membership is NOT directly transferable to practicing membership. An application for practicing membership must be submitted from a new user account. Contact information can be changed after the application has been submitted.
(Academic -------> Practicing)
- Review the information for applicants pages to see what the requirements are for membership.
- Applicants with a valid academic membership at the time of practicing membership will receive a credit towards their membership purchase. In order to receive this credit you must create a new account with a valid email address and submit an application for practicing membership. DO NOT PAY THE APPLICATION FEE
(E-mail addresses can be switched if you prefer the e-mail associated with your academic account)
- Once the application is completed, email the office to ensure the application fee is waived and your membership application is submitted.
My application has been approved and I graduated this year, why is the system asking me to log continuing education credits?
CE credits must be logged for the previous calendar year in order to complete registration. The system is not able to distinguish a first time registrant from a returning member looking to renew their membership. As a workaround, first time applicants CE requirements are assessed as a part of their application and a CE waiver is automatically applied to their account. Upon application approval, new registrants are asked to confirm this "First year of membership CE credit waiver". To do this:
- Click the blue edit button next to the draft credit waiver.
2. A pop-up window will appear. Scroll to the bottom of this popup and check the box next to the text that reads "I hereby confirm the activity submitted complies with the BCAK's Continuing ..." and click SUBMIT.
DO NOT ALTER THE DATE OR ANY OTHER FIELD
3. Once the waiver is confirmed, CREDITS EARNED IN (previous year) will show 20/20 credits and you will be able to proceed to the next step of registration.
I joined part way through the year, am I eligible for pro-rated CESP requirements?
The exception to the annual CESP requirements is for new members who, at the end of their first membership year, have a pro-rated requirement depending on your membership start date
The Pro-rated CESP requirements are as follows:
- New membership starts in Quarter 1 (Jan – Mar) – 15 credits required
- New membership starts in Quarter 2 (Apr – Jun) – 10 credits required
- New membership starts in Quarter 3 (Jul – Sep) – 5 credits required
- New membership starts in Quarter 4 (Oct – Nov) – 0 credits required
This is not done automatically
You will need to perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the My CE credits page. (This link will not work if you are not logged in or a member)
- Click the yellow add a credit button. (A pop up window will appear)
- Under categories select "CE credit waive" from the drop down menu.
- Under activities, select the appropriate date range.
- Select today's date as the completion date.
- In notes: Say "Joined in ______ (Month)"
- Check the box and submit the credit.
For applicants who began their Practicing Membership application in the previous calendar year and are completing the membership purchase now, please select "first year of membership CE waive".
Pages or content on this website does not load in properly.
What can be done to fix this problem?
For security purposes, much of the website functionality (including: Find a kin, Online membership renewal, E-commerce and CE credit entry) does not work with out of date web browsers.
Please update your browser(s) to the latest version. Current requirements are listed below. If you continue to have issues, contact your IT department if you are on a corporate network or the BCAK office if you are on a home pc, laptop, tablet or phone:
If this does not fix the problem please try a different browser and/or a different device.
My program is not considered to be a pathway 1 program. Can I apply through pathway 1 anyway?
Pathway 1 programs are considered to be pre-approved programs because graduates from these programs automatically exceed the academic requirements due to the specific requirements of the program. Those requirements include:
- Minimum GPA or grade requirements to continue in the program.
- Specific core courses required to graduate from said program.
- Substantial science based and/or clinically relevant kinesiology elective coursework required to graduate.
Many pathway 2 applicants are accepted each year, but they must be assessed by the membership committee on an individual basis to ensure that they meet the requirements for membership.