Professional Liability (PL) and Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance Coverage are a requirement for Practicing Membership to be 'in-good-standing'. Practicing members have the option to either purchase insurance through the CKA/BCAK group provider (Prolink) at the time of membership purchase/renewal or they may request approval of 'Other' insurance coverage.
BCAK/CKA group provider insurance purchase is completed concurrently with payment of your membership dues. If you select the group provider for insurance coverage, you will be transferred to the Prolink website to complete the purchase and will then be returned after the purchase to complete your membership dues payment. The group provider coverage meets the BCAK's requirements but may not meet the requirements of all members, so please inquire with Prolink if you offer unique or non-standard services or provide services to client's outside of the Canada.
Other insurance must be of an approved form and a request for equivalency must be submitted and accepted, prior to being permitted o purchase or renew Practicing membership with the BCAK. Insurance coverage which meets the BCAK's minimum requirements listed below, can complete their membership payment. If you have insurance through another broker/company that meets the BCAK's standards, you may apply for equivalency. The requirements and process for consideration of 'Other' insurance are listed below.
Liability Insurance Requirements
Depending on your situation, you are required to have private sector insurance, public sector insurance, or both. If you are not currently employed, you are still required to have private sector professional liability and commercial general liability insurance coverage. The requirements are detailed below.
1) Private Practice (Sector)
Review the policy to confirm it meets the requirements listed below. Policies which do not meet all the requirements listed will be rejected. (You should discuss these requirements with your Broker)
Private Practice Requirements
- You (the member) are shown as the "named insured", an "insured" or an "additional named insured" on the policy.
- The policy is written with an insurer licensed to conduct business in the province of BC and Canada.
- The insurer must have a minimum A.M. Best Rating of “A-“.
- Policy Coverage includes Professional Liability/Errors & Omissions (PL) and Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance for the acts of you (the BCAK member) in the delivery and performance of professional services in accordance with full scope of practice defined by the BCAK.
- Liability limits of not less than $2,000,000/occurrence(claim) and $2,000,000 per policy term for both PL and CGL.
- Additional PL Requirements
- Policy wordings do not restrict coverage to work with healthy or uninjured persons whether in these specific terms or others synonymous with good health.
- Policy wordings cover the entire scope of practice for kinesiology as defined by the BCAK.
- Policy deductible is not greater than $2,500 per claim.
- Policy wordings cover all claims made during the policy period.
- Policy wording provides full retroactive coverage. (i.e. There must be no retroactive date limiting coverage for prior professional services rendered)
- Policy includes or makes available, extended reporting/discovery period coverage of not less than 5 years.
2) Public Practice (Sector) - Government, Crown Corporation, BC Health Authority or Hospital
Submit the following documents
- A confirmation letter from the government agency (your employer) confirming your regular employment.
- A completed BCAK Insurance Declaration and Waiver form. This form stipulates that if you are under an employers policy and employment is terminated for any reason, you will immediately obtain other insurance and provide proof to the BCAK.
3) Public & Private Practice (Sectors)
Submit both forms of insurance documentation, along with one Insurance Declaration and Waiver form
How to Apply for Approval of 'Other' Insurance Coverage
Submit the following documents
- A copy of your private insurance certificate(s). Full policy wordings may be required to validate your compliance with the private practice requirements listed above, if the necessary details are not indicated on the insurance certificate(s).
- Submit a completed BCAK Insurance Declaration and Waiver Form. This form stipulates that, "to the best of your ability" you have reviewed the coverage and verified that it meets the BCAK's requirements. If after reviewing the insurance requirements, you determine that you do not meet all the requirements, please do not apply for acceptance of your insurance, until such time as you meet the requirements. You can always change and purchase through the group provider if the coverage offered meets your needs.
Canadian Athletic Therapy Association (CATA) Group Policy Insurance - BCAK accepts this coverage provided your policy has the kinesiology extension shown on the declaration page. See sample - extension is highlighted in yellow
Canadian Society of Exercise Physiologists (CSEP) - BCAK does not accept CSEP-CPT insurance as it only covers working with healthy persons, or CSEP-CEP insurance as the "kinesiology" extension is only valid for members of the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario (CKO).
Once received, the submitted documentation will be reviewed by the BCAK (note: allow up to two weeks for review).
- If you are applying for Private Practice equivalency and the requirements are not indicated or can not be determined from the document(s) submitted, you may be asked to submit a full copy of the policy, including policy wordings.
- If you are applying for Public Practice equivalency, the documentation you submit must confirm you are a regular employee and not an independent contractor or sub-contractor.
After the review is completed, you will be advised whether the coverage meets the requirements outlined in the applicable Private/Public section.
If your request for approval is accepted, you will be informed by email that you may purchase your membership or renewal. If your request for approval is declined, you will be informed of which requirements are not met or cannot be verified based on the documentation submitted.
If your request is declined, you must either, repeat the entire process and present proof of coverage which meets all the requirements, or email the office and advise us you wish to purchase coverage through the group provider and you will be given directions on how to proceed.
Note: You will not be able to complete your membership purchase/renewal until the BCAK confirms with you in writing that the 'Other" coverage provided meets the requirements or you have purchased insurance through the group provider. For additional details please email the BCAK office. email@example.com.