Once you have created a user account on the website, you will be able to create and submit an application.
A minimum 4-year Bachelor's degree in kinesiology is required for Practicing (professional) membership. 2 and 3 year undergraduate degree programs do not qualify for membership.
Normal Processing times are as follows
- Submitting your application should only take a few minutes, however all applicants should spend an hour or so reading through the membership requirements and support documents.
NOTE 1: Not all of the documents listed are required for every membership type and/or pathway.
NOTE 2: All processing times are estimates. Actual processing time may vary.
- Scanned Degree certificate (diploma) & Course descriptions should be included in your submitted application - >1 hour
- Requesting official transcripts from the institution
- By mail - 7 to 10 business days
- By email or Fax - 1 to 3 business day.
- Requesting a criminal record check through the criminal records review program.
- Online - 5 to 15 business days after payment
- Manually - ~30 business days after payment
- ICES comprehensive evaluations OR WES Course-by-Course + ICAP evaluations - 7 Weeks AFTER all required documents have been submitted
- English Language Exams - 1-2 months DEPENDING on preparation time
- BCAK Core Course Composite exam - ~2 weeks or more DEPENDING on preparation time
AFTER all supporting documents have been received by the office, your application will enter the review phase
- The time required for this review varies depending on where you were educated and how long ago your education was completed.
- Graduated from a recognized kinesiology program in Canada within the last 2 years - ~ 30 business days
- Graduated from any other kinesiology related program within the last 2 years ~ 60 days
- Any Applicant who graduated >2 , but under 20 years from a kinesiology program in Canada ~ 60 days
- Any applicant who graduated from a program completed outside of Canada -~ 60-90 days
Once your review is completed, the membership committee will provide a decision on your application.
- If your application is approved, you will have 3 months to activate your membership without needing to contact the office. After 3 months, you will be required to meet continuing education requirements and may be required to reapply.
- If your application is not approved, you will be informed what requirements have not been satisfied and provided general information towards achieving the outstanding requirements. You will have one year from the date you receive notice of application review to meet the additional requirements set out, after this time you will be required to meet any new requirements implemented since you first applied.
- If you are missing an Anatomy, Physiology, Biomechanics or Motor Control core requirement, you can complete the course(s) at an approved BC educational institution (scoring a C- or better) or challenge and pass (65% score or greater) a BCAK course equivalency exam(s) in the missing core subject(s).
- If you are missing an Exercise Prescription, Exercise Physiology and Research Methods core requirement, you must complete the course(s) at an approved BC educational institution (scoring a C- or better).
- If you are less than 5 elective courses short of the requirement, you can complete the required courses at an approved educational institution (A maximum of 2 D grades can be accepted across all elective courses, no additional D grades will be accepted), or optionally, up to 2 approved certifications may be applied by providing proof of completion to the BCAK.
- If the BCAK determines that the number or requirements you are lacking is extensive and could not reasonably be completed within 1 year, your application will be declined and you will be provided with a list of the missing requirements. You may reapply after 1 year and will have to meet the requirements in effect at the time of your reapplication. No equivalency exams or course substitutions will be accepted in these circumstances.