Application Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers for New Applicants

1- Pages or content on this website does not load in properly. What can be done to fix this problem?

For security purposes, much of the website functionality (including: Find a kin, Online membership renewal, E-commerce and CE credit entry) does not work with out of date web browsers.

Please update your browser(s) to the latest version. Current requirements are listed below. If you continue to have issues, contact your IT department if you are on a corporate network or the BCAK office if you are on a home PC, laptop, tablet or phone:

Please follow these links to make sure that your browser and your operating system are up to date and update them to the current version if they are not. If this does not work, you may need to try using a different device. Out of date browsers and operating systems can cause other issues during the renewal process, so it's important to rule this out early.

If this does not solve the issue please try a different browser and/or a different device.

2 - How do I send documents to the BCAK after my application has been submitted? (Submission Guidelines)

All requested documents (with the exception of official transcripts, ICES, IELTS and TOEFL Evaluations) can be sent to the office email (

Documents must be submitted as reasonable quality colour scans in the proper orientation (meaning that in order to view the documents no modification is required by the recipient). Submitting illegible or improperly oriented documents will result in a request for re-submission (slowing down the application process).

Degree Certificates

Correct vs incorrect.png

PDF format is preferred for documents that do not require additional modification.

Criminal Record Check Manual Consent Forms

Detailed Submission Guidelines:

  • Ensure all parts of the form are completed prior to submission, including:
    • the checkboxes in section 2 of page 1
    • all of part 1 (applicant Information) on page 2.
    • The signature and date field at the bottom of page 2
  • The form must not include electronic signatures but can be filled out in Adobe or other PDF editing software.
  • The form must be returned as a reply to the original email thread.
  • Consent forms must be returned as reasonable quality scans in PDF format. Upon receipt this form will be sent to the Criminal Record Review Program on your behalf and you will be provided with additional information.
  • Photos of the consent form will not be accepted regardless of any attempt undertaken by the photographer to crop the photo or hide their own shadow.
  • CamScanner is not recommended.
3 - What order should my application support documents be submitted in?

The order does not matter, but the application fee must be paid before the application is submitted and an application must be submitted for the office to upload your support documents. Submitting documents before submitting an application may result in delays in application processing. The following steps constitute a standard sequence for submitting and application and accompanying support documents:

  1. Determine what the requirements are for membership and whether you meet those requirements to the best of your ability. If you are unsure, please email the office a concise email with your specific questions.
  2. Upload whatever documents you have on hand that can be accepted directly from the applicant (typically course descriptions, proof of graduation and letter(s) of support).
  3. Submit your application by paying the application fee (Current Academic members, please refer to information in the FAQ regarding membership category changes).
  4. Ensure that you have received the "your application has been submitted email". Check your spam inbox and if you have not received this email within 24 hours of submitting your application, please email the office.
  5. Follow the instructions on the how to obtain a criminal record review page of the website. These documents will be uploaded to your application when they are received and you will be notified via auto-email.
  6. Follow the instructions on your institutions website to request that official transcripts be sent directly to the office. These documents will be uploaded to your application when they are received and you will be notified via auto-email.

4 - How long does it take to become a Practicing member?

The time required to obtain membership varies depending upon which phase of your education and the application you are in.

  • A Bachelors of Science in kinesiology or equivalent is required for membership - 4+ years
  • Submitting your application should only take a few minutes, however all applicants should spend an hour or so reading through the membership requirements and support documents. Not all of the documents listed are required for every membership type and pathway.
    • Scanned Degree certificate (diploma) & Course descriptions should be included in your submitted application - 1 to 2 hours
    • Requesting official transcripts from the institution
      • By mail - 7 to 10 business days
      • By email or Fax - <1 business day.
    • Requesting a criminal record check through the criminal records review program.
      • Online - 5 to 15 business days after payment
      • Manually - ~30 business days after payment
    • ICES comprehensive evaluations OR WES Course-by-Course + ICAP evaluations - 7 Weeks AFTER all required documents have been submitted
    • English Language Exams - 1-2 months DEPENDING on preparation time
    • BCAK Composite exam - ~2 weeks or more DEPENDING on preparation time
  • AFTER all supporting documents have been received by the office review will commence. The time required for this review varies depending on your pathway.
    • Pathway 1 - ~30 Business days
    • Pathway 2a - ~30 to 60 Business days
    • Pathway 2b - ~30 to 60 Business days
    • Pathway 2c - ~60 to 90 Business days
5 - Am I able to scan and submit copies of my official transcripts for the application?

No (in most cases).

Some pathways do not require official transcripts as they are sent to the ICES and verified separately. Furthermore, some applicants from outside of BC are able to order faxed or electronic copies of their official transcripts that are verifiable and tamper-proof.

For most applicants in Pathways 1 and 2a, you will be required to request sealed official transcripts from your post-secondary institution and ask that they be mailed to the BCAK.

6 - I have finished my undergraduate coursework but have not yet graduated. Am I able to apply for membership?

Yes. You will require a signed proof of application or acceptance for graduation letter from your educational institution. This must be uploaded by you to your online application. If your application has been submitted, you may send this to the office email address ( with the subject line "Proof of Graduation Letter".

Please note that your proof of graduation letter must indicate that you are eligible to graduate and are expected to graduate on a specific date. The letter must also clearly show what credential is being awarded and the concentration/specialization/stream from which you are graduating. (i.e. A Bachelors of Science in Kinesiology - Exercise Science Specialization).

7 - How does the BCAK take into account pass/fail grading policies applied by my school during the COVID-19 pandemic?

For core (Anatomy, Physiology, Biomechanics, Motor Control, Exercise Physiology, Exercise Prescription and Research Methods) courses:

  • BCAK normally only accepts letter grades or percent grades for elective courses. 
  • Special Pandemic Measures - "P" grades require the following additional support documentation;
    • Provide a copy of the policy from the college/university and proof that this policy was in place for the post-Secondary institutional, departmental or course level covering the time of enrolled in the course(s) in question.
    • If possible, contact the professor or academic advisor to determine what percent or letter grade would have been anticipated based on the marks received for previous assignments and exams and request this be provided for submission as support to the BCAK. Documentation provided by the educational institution will be verified by the BCAK office. 

For Elective Courses:

  • The BCAK membership committee can accept two (2) borderline pass/fail grades (letter grade D or 50-55%), towards the elective course requirements without special consideration. 
  • Applicants who have received 3 or more pass/fail grades for the affected semesters; the BCAK board of directors has the ability to accept additional pass/fail grades for the applicant upon appeal, with the decision determined by:
    • Cumulative GPA of the applicant,
    • Academic history,
    • Previous coursework completed,
    • The graduation requirements for the undergraduate program in question,
    • Additional certifications held by the applicant,
    • Whether an applicant's core course requirements have been met.
8 - My application has been approved and I graduated this year, why is the system asking me to log continuing education credits?

CE credits must be logged for the previous calendar year in order to complete registration. The system is not able to distinguish a first time registrant from a returning member looking to renew their membership. As a workaround, first time applicants CE requirements are assessed as a part of their application and a CE waiver is automatically applied to their account. When registering for the first time, newly approved applicants will be asked to confirm the "First year of membership CE credit waiver". This must be completed manually by you following the steps below.

  1. Click the blue edit button next to the draft credit waiver as indicated below

2. A pop-up window will appear. Scroll to the bottom of this popup and check the box next to the text that reads "I hereby confirm the activity submitted complies with the BCAK's Continuing ..." and click SUBMIT.

Annotation 2020-06-22 104738.jpg

3. Once the waiver is confirmed, CREDITS EARNED IN (previous year) will show 20/20 credits and you will be able to proceed to the next step of registration.

9 - I am joining part way through the year, am I eligible for pro-rated CESP requirements when I renew my membership for the next year?


The annual CESP requirements are reduced for new members renewing their membership for the fist time based on membership start date.

The Pro-rated CESP requirements are as listed:

  • New membership starts in Quarter 1 (Jan – Mar) – 15 credits required
  • New membership starts in Quarter 2 (Apr – Jun) – 10 credits required
  • New membership starts in Quarter 3 (Jul – Sep) – 5 credits required
  • New membership starts in Quarter 4 (Oct – Nov) – 0 credits required

Prior to renewal you must manually enter the adjustment credits. To complete this process perform the following steps.

  1. Navigate to the My CE credits page. (This link will not work if you are not logged in to your account or you are not a current member)
  2. Click the green add a credit button. (A pop up window will appear)
  3. Under categories select "Continuing Education Standards Program (CESP) credit waiver" from the drop down menu.
  4. Under activities, select the appropriate date range based on when you joined.
  5. Enter/Select the date you paid your membership dues as the completion date.
  6. In the notes indicate "Joined in ______ (Month)"
  7. Check the box to verify this is true and accurate, and submit the credit.

Click here for more information on our continuing educations standards program.

For applicants who initiated their Practicing Membership application in the previous calendar year and are completing the membership purchase now, please select "first year of membership CE waiver".

10 - I transferred between post-Secondary institutions when completing my degree, do I need to request official transcripts from each school I attended?

Yes, official transcripts are required for all kinesiology related courses completed, whether at one or more institutions. See the core course content and elective category definitions for help determining this. If you are still unsure, contact the office.

Cookies are used to analyze traffic to this site and improve your on-site experience. By continuing, you consent to the use of cookies. Read more