BCAK supports the philosophy of lifelong learning and has incorporated this premise into its Continuing Education Standards Program (CESP) requirements.
Professional members of the BCAK must demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning as being fundamental to ethical professional practice and social responsibility as a health professional. The purposes are to maintain (1) professional competency related to client care & evidence-based best practices, and (2) public trust of clients in receiving care/services from kinesiologists.
To renew, reinstate or reapply for membership, Practicing members and those wishing to become Practicing members, must be able to provide evidence of completion for a minimum of 20 continuing education credits per calendar year, in accordance with the Continuing Education Standards Program Credit Table.pdf
Terms and Conditions
- Previous Course Work - Courses or professional development activities completed prior to becoming a Practicing Member are not eligible for submission at the end of your first year or other years and you cannot carry forward unused hours to the subsequent year.
- Course Pre-Approval - Continuing education course pre-approval is not required by the BCAK. Credit allocations are assigned based on the BCAK's current CESP Credit Categories Table. Courses completed must fall within the scope of practice of kinesiology or be directly related to business skill acquisition for the purpose of kinesiology business operations or management.
Exceptions to the Requirements
New members, who have held membership for less than 12 months at the end of their first membership year, are allocated a pro-rated credit requirement based on the start date of their membership.
Pro-rated CESP requirements for new members are based on membership start date as follows:
- Start Date in Quarter 1 (Jan – Mar) – 15 credits
- Start Date in Quarter 2 (Apr – Jun) – 10 credits
- Start Date in Quarter 3 (Jul – Sep) – 5 credits
- Start Date in Quarter 4 (Oct – Nov 15) – 0 credits required (New members after November 15th receive a 12+ month membership and when this first membership term expires, 20 credits are required to renew)
Short Term Leave of Absence - Members approved for medical(disability)/maternity/paternity leave who are not working can request to have credit requirements waived for a maximum one year period. If you are planning to take parental leave and will not be working at any time while on leave you can notify the BCAK office within 30 days of starting your leave and qualify for this exemption. If your leave of absence is less than 1 year, the waiver is prorated based on the months of leave completed, Credit waives can be applied over 2 successive membership (calendar) years, starting with the year in which the leave begins if this occurs. Written Notification must be received by the BCAK office within 30 days of beginning your leave of absence if you wish to take advantage of this policy and be granted the credit exemption.
How to Enter Your CESP Credits
Enter and record your completed CESP credits through your BCAK online account.
Follow These Steps to Add Credits
- Login to your BCAK "My Account"
- Select 'CE Credits' from the menu (in the Member section)
- Select 'Add Credits'
- Select the credit 'Category' from the drop down menu
- Select the 'Activity' from the second drop down menu
- Enter the 'Completion Date' for the course or event
- Enter a brief note or 'Description' of the event (if appropriate)
- Read and confirm "check the box" verifying your CE credit entry complies with the CESP policies, is true and accurate
- Click the "Submit" button.
(Repeat these steps for additional entries)