How to Complete a Criminal Record (Background) Check

Steps To Obtaining a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check Clearance Letter

Please read this page carefully. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a step-by-step process.

Background Information

Who must have a criminal record check? - Practicing and Non-Practicing members must submit a criminal record check (CRC) clearance letter (sometimes referred to as a criminal record review or background check) every 5 years to verify the absence of certain types of criminal convictions related to working with both vulnerable adults and children. This is a standard requirement for health professionals in BC. The BCAK is registered as an oversight body with the Province's Criminal Records Review Program.

Where/How Can I Complete a Check? - The review must be completed through the BC Ministry of Public Safety & Solicitor General's Criminal Records Review Program (CRRP) website. If you do not qualify for the Electronic Identity Verification (EIV) process, you will be required to submit a manual request.

How much does it cost? - Applicants/Members are responsible for payment of the required fee(s) to complete the CRC process. The basic assessment fee for a 'Name based criminal record check' is currently $28.00. Occasionally (on rare occasions) individuals will be required to complete a 'Certified criminal record check', necessitating a finger print review. There is an additional fee of approximately $100 for this type of check. If this type of check is required, you will receive notification from the Ministry by letter mail explaining the process. For additional information on when/why the Certified criminal records check may be required, please refer to this RCMP information page for details.

When Should I complete this step? - As this time to complete and for BCAK to receive the results can vary between 21 to 60 days, it is recommended this step be completed early in the application or renewal process to prevent additional delay in membership finalization or renewal.

What does the BCAK not accept? - BC's provincial government recognizes kinesiologists as unregulated healthcare professionals and Criminal Record Checks must be completed through their system with the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General. .

The BCAK cannot accept criminal record checks completed through the following organizations as they are not valid under the Criminal Records Review Act for working with at risk populations.

  • Local police or RCMP detachment
  • MyCRC
  • Commissionaires

Note: The BCAK does not reimburse applicants/members for obtaining a criminal record check through the unacceptable providers listed above.

How is my personal identity verified? -In the new eCRC system (effective July 6, 2021), an applicant’s identity is verified using their BC Services Card/BC Services Card Phone App. If you are using the BC Services Card or the App to access this online service for first time, you will be directed to activate your card/app by video, telephone or in person through Service BC. If you do not meet the BC Services Card/App eligibility requirements, you will need to complete a manual criminal record check.

What if I have a Current (valid) CRC clearance letter through the Criminal Records Review Program completed for another Employer or Business? - If you have completed a criminal record check through the Criminal Records Review Program, covering both vulnerable adults and children within the past 5 years you can request sharing of the clearance letter from the Ministry of Public Safety by initiating a "sharing request" through the CRRP website. You may wish to read through the user guide for more information on how and when this process applies.

Steps to follow

Online Process (TRY THIS FIRST)
  1. Copy this code:
    (To be pasted into the space provided on the CRRP website when requested below)
  2. Next, follow the link to the BC Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General Criminal Record Check website to begin the process.
  3. Paste/enter the code in the space provided (see image below), to initiate the Electronic Identity Verification or "EIV" process. Follow and complete the remaining on screen instructions.

Note: Online application for the CRC will be declined if EIV can not be completed. You may be declined for a number of reasons, including errors in or insufficient credit or address history. Excessive failed attempts to enter your information will also cause the system to reject your online application. If you are declined for online processing, you must complete this process manually.

Manual Process (IF ONLINE FAILS)
  1. Email the BCAK office, with the subject line: Manual CRC submission.
    Include a scanned image of your government issued photo ID, such as a BC driver's license or provincial ID card for verification purposes.
  2. A BCAK administrator will provide you with a fillable form. DO NOT use an electronic (or digital) signature to sign this form, as the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General will not accept it.
  3. After properly completing this form, please email a scanned copy including both pages of the form as a single PDF document to the BCAK office. Please refer to the submission guidelines in the FAQ when sending documents to the office by email or postal mail.
  4. BCAK will send the CRC request on your behalf to the CRRP upon receipt. The CRRP staff may require up to 30 days for manual processing depending on the volume of requests they are currently processing.
  5. Payment of the Fee Invoice - THE CRRP WILL SEND AN INVOICE FOR THE $28 PROCESSING FEE TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS YOU PROVIDED ON THE FORM. You are responsible for payment of this fee, and the invoice must be paid prior to their initiation of the actual review process (which takes up to 30 days). BCAK recommends you pay the fee as soon as you receive the invoice notification and remember to check your junk email folder regularly in the event it is treated as junk mail.

Note: the results of your completed CRC will be sent directly to the BCAK office once the review has been completed by the Ministry. Do not contact the office for an update if the processing fee has not been paid. Instead, contact the CRRP for information on your processing times.

Cookies are used to analyze traffic to this site and improve your on-site experience. By continuing, you consent to the use of cookies. Read more